History of Camp Sequanota

On February 4, 1946, the Johnstown Lutheran pastoral Association appointed a committee of four pastors to make an investigation as to the possibility of establishing a camp in the Allegheny Conference area. They visited many areas in the six county area of the Conference and finally decided to recommend a site known locally as the Weimer tract.

This tract comprised 145 acres and was priced at $2,500.00. Believing that this site offered the greatest possibilities for church camping, a joint meeting of the Johnstown and Somerset County Ministerial Association was held at Trent State Park on July 8, 1946.

Those present voted to purchase the Weimer tract and form a corporation to be known as the Lutheran Camp Association. The dream of establishing a new camp had now become reality and Sequanota, "land of many waters", was born.

The first junior camp for boys opened on Sunday July 4, 1948 and cost $17.00 for a week! Throughout the first summer, Sequanota saw 130 campers enrolled. Today Sequanota provides services to thousands of people each year.

Over sixty years comprise the history of Sequanota. Three hundred ninety five acres of beautiful land, a magnificent swimming pool, a half million dollar Enrichment Center, and many camp buildings are her physical resources. But that which cannot be measured in time or material value is her greatest asset - the campers. God continues to bless Sequanota making it a witness to what the united faith of a dedicated people can accomplish.